Worldview Artist. Integral Visionary. Creator of Lingua-U. Translineage Mystic. Poet. Minister. Blogger. Whole Writing Coach. Author of Soulfully Gay & other books.
I am a Worldview Artist and pioneer in the emerging field of Integral Spirituality. At the age of 33-34 years old, I wrote the groundbreaking chronicle of self-discovery, Soulfully Gay (Integral Books/Shambhala, 2007). In the Foreword, Ken Wilber described my spiritual autobiography as “one of the most astonishing tales of death and resurrection you are likely to find in today’s literature.”
A beloved touchstone for evolutionary citizens everywhere and a beacon of hope for LGBT persons across the globe, Soulfully Gay is one of the first personal memoirs in the new tradition of Integral Spirituality. The book also introduces a revolutionary interreligious theological anthropology that proffers an original understanding of same-sex love as an important example of the self-immanent principle in spiritual evolution and one of the Two Prime Directions of Love.
In 2010, I earned a Certificate in Integral Leadership from Pacific Integral/LIOS Graduate College of Saybrook University in completion of the program in Generating Transformative Change. For my final project, I developed a prototype of Lingua-U, the unitive metalanguage which brings together wisdom from many of the world’s Sacred Word traditions. I have also completed the STAGES In-Depth training, a new assessment methodology for human development.
An Honors graduate of Harvard University in The Comparative Study of Religion with Philosophy as Allied Field, I wrote my senior thesis on the social ethics of Reinhold Niebuhr and Gustavo Gutierrez. I have also studied religion and the human sciences at The Divinity School at The University of Chicago, where I dived deep into the thought of John Dewey and Emile Durkheim.
In recent years I have also earned an M.Div. from The Esoteric Theological Seminary and hold the title of ordained Integral Minister, and hope to have an active ministry one day after I’ve retired, or maybe a little sooner.
More about me …
- I am a single, gay-identified, Latino cis man living in Seattle, Washington.
- In am also a technical writer. I have consulted for companies such as Microsoft, Microsoft Press, and Oracle.
- As a translineage mystic who was raised Roman Catholic and attends spiritual services at an Episcopal Cathedral, I maintain a deep affinity with all the faiths of the Abrahamic tradition. One might say I’m still very much a “catholic”, with the little c, at least.
- In 2004, I founded the Bridge of Light, an LGBT winter holiday which has been continuously celebrated for 15 years (by at least a few people, I think).
- A former Board Member and Scholar-in-Residence for the Center for Integral Wisdom.
- A passionate sci-fi/fantasy geek who believes Gene Roddenberry is a modern-day prophet and J.R.R. Tolkien is the most important Catholic intellectual voice of the 20th century.
- An arctophile, I bring a bear-like spirit to exploring and inhabiting the Great Mystery.